Sunday, April 3, 2011

The "Strong Chick" has started weight training...

I got about 3 hrs sleep last night. Why? Well, I was up at 4am to take David to Miami International (an absolute GEM of an airport). My brother is, right now, on a plane to Japan after a last minute trip here to put some distance between himself and the evolving situation there for a while. We both always swear we'll NEVER book another early morning flight and yet again...

All the rush and panic and fear and fun and relief and sadness just settled down and hindsight has kicked in. I'm sitting here, coming off...about six months of adjusting to a murderous new project at work, working to get a brand new Chinese New Year celebration off the ground and just general wonkiness in other areas of my life. Taking a look back at my diet and workout habits, and they're a complete mess.

Surprise surprise, they're endorsed by Rashad Evans!


Inspired by David's recent love of resistance bands, I ordered a set myself, setting up a schedule to do half an hour of fitness work every weekday morning. I'm a total non-gym person and despite the fact I'm at the gym 3-4 times a week and there are weights and tons of machines right there, I STILL prefer working out at home. I was really surprised at how much "weight" you can get on them..my set goes up to 254lbs, but they have sets that go up to 388lbs. I'll be good to go once I get over the fear of one popping and taking out one of my eyes.

I used to be SO...GOOD about this. I'd get up at 5:30 to do 45 minutes of cardio. I'd come home and do an hour of weights and another half hour of cardio plus stretching. Where did I get all that energy? Have I just gotten old? I know I was driven then by a deep loathing for my job, but seriously...what happened?

I think part of it is age...not just getting older, but prioritization. I'm not super concerned over being skinny again...it really changes very little (save attracting a larger quantity of men...no change in quality). Back then...at a bubbling and hopeful 22 years old, I was driven by the promise of a life turned on its head by a flatter stomach and smaller jean size. Now? I know that it's nice, but that hand to hand combat with my genetic makeup...well...the energy could be better spent elsewhere.

That said, I hate to be one to just burn time, so I started again today with a Pilates DVD I used to do once a week. It's been months and guess what...I can do the whole thing without any adaptations now! I love jiu jitsu.

Oh...and my left thumb has been sore for weeks...whether I use it more or take a break...achiness. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there.
As big as you are, if you find that you enjoy lifting and train your body correctly, you could reasonably lift 200+ lbs in a while. At the age of 19, I decided that I was never going to be skinny, so I would be strong instead. Three years later I could deadlift more than twice my weight. No drugs, either.

Which touches on your last post. Guys who are uncomfortable with or intimidated by what I do lose interest really quick, which is an easy way to keep undesirables away, in my opinion. I wouldn't want to be friends with them, much less date one.

Georgette said...

I used to hate working out, but the prospect of it improving my jiu jitsu really changed my attitude towards it. Have you checked out Stumptuous? http://www.stumptuous.com/

Shark Girl said...

Sometimes I think about how "skinny" I would be if I exercised more and didn't eat so much crap. (I made these chocolate amaretto bars yesterday. I'm eating the whole pan myself.) But, then I'd be exercising more and NOT eating crap. That's no way to live. You can see the bind I'm in.

Megan said...

@Anonymous..."At the age of 19, I decided that I was never going to be skinny, so I would be strong instead." Yep. I know I CAN be skinny, but it takes some unhealthy habits on my part. You are so right about the man filter of certain activities. I find I do it almost instinctively when I don't like a guy that's interested in me. I throw out BJJ or some other pursuit that isn't typically womanly and it takes care of the situation.

@Georgette...I still don't really like weight training, but I'm amped about it right now so I'm going to run with it. I LOVE stuptuous btw.

@Shark Girl...that's me dead on. My sweet tooth has changed to a love of rich proteins and fatty sauces (lobster fettuccine alfredo for example), but I think I can make some more improvements. The Food Bible has helped me get more greens in my diet and protein shakes have gotten at least a third of my day (breakfast) in check. Regardless though, I'm "a big girl" by nature.

Georgette said...

At least you're tall! I'm 5'2" and perennially short for my weight... after the Pan I took a week off "for rest" and now work is kicking my tail so it's another week off... and the butt is expanding :( I worry I'll make leve for May 8th's Dallas Open. Sigh. Didn't stop me from making chocolate chip cookies, though.

Megan said...

I know...I'm complaining but as long as my annual exams come back clean, I can't seem to get too upset over a little extra "fluff".

Lindsay said...

So I was just wondering .. do you still use the resistance bands today?
Or have you moved on to other types of excercise ?

Megan said...

Hi Lindsay!

Since I've started ginastica natural, I've fallen off the bands. There's do much strength for me to gain in body weight work it's crazy. I still use them occasionally though.