Monday, May 31, 2010

Drilling with Jeans

I think I've found a way to adapt a lassoing drill to do on my own.
The basic drill (two man) involves starting in spider guard (on the bottom, opponent standing) hipping out to one side and lassoing that same leg around your opponents corresponding arm. Well, my opponent is going to be an old pair of jeans. I tried it with my gi first and while it was great for toughening my grip, it was hard maintaining tension and not getting my foot completely caught in the body. I may try it again and try tying up the body.
It's not quite the same (I can't get the same hip movement without the resistance of an actual body), but it lets me work on internalizing which direction (CW vs. CCW) I should be looping my leg (there's still a split second of hesitation) and pulling the arm directly to my belt as opposed to...whatever messed up direction I default to.
After 30 reps on both sides, I was glad to see my hands were hurting like they do in class and my back and triceps were starting to tire the same way.

2 comments:

A.D. McClish said...

That's a cool idea. Good way to get in a little more practice on your own. Muscle memory is muscle memory, right?

Megan said...

Definitely...I'm a little concerned that I'm practicing "wrong" and could be building bad habits, but I'll see how it goes. Thanks!