Monday, January 25, 2010

Bodyweight Exercises...

November 4, 2009

I remember when I first started researching this sport, reading posts about people replaying rolls in their head. I found myself doing that all day, trying to figure out what I should have done when in spider guard, wondering if I reacted the right way in side control. Definitely ready to go again. I was talking with a friend that boxes and when I told him I'd rolled for the first time, his response was to ask "It's a total rush isn't it??" And it is. Even though I was stuck flailing like a fish and getting dragged around by my ankle, it really was a rush. I'm starting to feel like the classes are too short...well...except the warmup of course. Still hate that with a passion.

My FlowFit DVD came yesterday! I really wanted to start with the Ground Engagement series since it seems more applicable to BJJ, but I didn't want to get stuck in plow position just from being too eager. It's pretty straight forward and the first thing I've done that's gotten me sweating the same way doing drills does. 14-18 min is definitely doable for me in the mornings and my goal is 3x a week. I'm a little concerned about the squats since my right knee tends to give me problems, but we'll see. For some odd reason, my right quad and left tricep have been burning like crazy for two days. I'll probably skip cardio tomorrow morning just to give that and my knee a rest. This is my first venture into the world of athletics and at 30, I don't want to rush things.

Still waiting on my Jiu Jitsu University book (yes, I'm going to nerd my way through jiu jitsu). I'm hoping it'll give me some insight into some of the finer points of the moves I get lost in. I like a lot of detail when I'm learning and not being a naturally physical person, I need to hear/read just as much, if not more than I see and experience.

No comments: